News & Eventssee what's new!
Mobile Safety & FAQ
Mobile Banking – Important information for you:
Equity Bank is pleased to provide mobile banking to you as a safe and convenient service. We have collected a summary of best practices we will share with you, to ensure you are not a victim of fraud.
Lost or Stolen Device
Mobile phones and tablet devices offer convenience, but they're also easy to lose or steal, which can put your information at risk. Here are some ways you can protect yourself now in the event your device is lost or stolen later:
- If your mobile phone is lost or stolen, please contact the bank right away. We will disable your mobile banking account to prevent your account from being accessed fraudulently.
- Password-protect your device so it can't be accessed unless the password is entered
- Enable an automatic screen-locking mechanism to lock the device when it's not actively being used
- Consider using a remote wipe program that gives you the ability to send a command to your device that will delete any data
- Keep a record of the device's make, model and serial number in case it's stolen
Mobile Deposits – Duplicate Deposits
We believe you will love the convenience and safety of the Equity Bank Mobile Deposit feature. Once you have received confirmation that your check reflected as available for deposit, we recommend you destroy the check or write VOID on the check to avoid the risk of depositing the check more than one time.
Secure your mobile device
Be aware that your phone is also a security device that contains your personal information and identifies you as the owner, be cautious if someone asks to borrow your smart phone or tablet.
Update your mobile devices
Mobile devices are essentially small computers with software that needs to be kept up to date just like on a PC or laptop. Make sure all the mobile devices in your house have the latest security protection. This may require updating your devices with a computer.
Safeguard your personal information
Protect your phone or tablet device just as you would your computer. Secure your mobile device by using a strong passcode and be cautious about the sites you visit and the information you release.
Review new Apps
Protect your money
When banking and shopping on your mobile device, check to be sure the sites are secure. Look for web addresses with https: in the address. This means the site takes extra measures to help secure your information.
When in doubt, don't respond
Fraudulent texting, calling and voicemails are on the rise. Just like in fraudulent email, requests for personal information or a call for immediate action are almost always a scam.
Fake Mobile Banking apps
Criminals may develop and publish fake mobile banking applications that look like official Equity Bank apps but are in truth designed to steal your Online Banking credentials. Here are tips for recognizing an unofficial Equity Bank app:
- The developer or author of the application is not Equity Bank
- The app is being promoted on a third-party site, somewhere other than the official app store for your mobile device
- There is a charge for downloading the app--Equity Bank does not currently charge for mobile app downloads
- To help protect your accounts and information, never download or install a Equity Bank Mobile Banking app if you spot any of these warning signs.
SMShing is phishing that happens via SMS text message. A criminal sends you a text message that tries to trick you into replying with financial or personal information or clicking on links that will sneak viruses onto your mobile device. Don't respond to a text message that requests personal or financial information. Equity Bank will never ask you to provide your information in this way.
Traditional online threats
Viruses, malware and other programs intended to steal your personal information or financial details are able to infect some mobile devices. If your tablet supports a traditional anti-virus product, consider installing that software. Backup the device's data and keep the copy in a safe and secure location. This will allow you to restore your data in the event you need to wipe the device clean in order to remove a harmful software threat.